I completely support breastfeeding and encourage all moms to try, but sometimes it just can't happen. I just came across an article on Just West of Crunchy's blog and was inspired to link up to her and write my own list of things people say about breastfeeding that really peeve me. These are all Just West of Crunchy inspired, so some are the same and/or similar!
6 Breastfeeding Myths
1. Everyone Can Breastfeed! That just isn't so. It doesn't always come naturally, babies don't always latch on easily, and other issues can arise. So many Mamas end up feeling guilty because they cannot breastfeed and others make them feel guilty, too, but they shouldn't. If you try and it doesn't happen, at least you did give it a try, which is more than I can say for many.
2. Formula = Poison! While I do encourage Mamas to breastfeed or give it a try, formula is the next choice if it doesn't work out. What else can they feed the baby if not breast milk? Obviously it isn't poison and I hate when people act like it is. I know plenty of formula fed babies and all of them are as healthy as those who were breastfed.
3. If you don't breastfeed, you obviously don't care enough about your children. Please! It's hard to even comment on this. I've even heard people comment that formula fed babies should be taken away from their parents. It's just ridiculous.
4. Your Breastmilk Not Coming In? Other issues? Well, try _____ and it will work! I'm sure you've gotten all types of advice from other Mamas. Try some special teas, herbs, foods, etc. While some Mamas have luck with them, they aren't a definite.
5. Your Baby Isn't Latching/Eating- Keep Trying, It Will Happen. When I hear this, in the back of my mind I'm thinking this equates to "Starve your baby and eventually they'll drink something." When I had trouble breastfeed my first, the lactation consultant kept telling us this and even sent us home without Josiah latching or eating properly. Wrong, lady! She should have helped me get the hang of it before sending us on our way to be at home with a crying baby, wondering what the heck to do.
6. Breast Is Best! Okay, yes, I do think breastfeeding should be the first choice for any Mama, but is it always best for the child? The answer is no. Do you drink, smoke, take medicine? If so, breast is definitely not always best.
Those are just some of my peeves. :) What are yours?
I realize there are many great reasons to breastfeed, but I also think that we, as Mamas, should support each other on our decisions and try to help each other rather than criticize.