From our first experience, I learned just how difficult potty training can be, so I'm going to post about our new journey this time. Hopefully it will give us all some extra insight into this foreign concept... and we won't go insane in the process! :)
So, for our first post, how do I know Liam is ready for potty training?
Here are some top signs that your child is ready to use the potty!
1. Your child shows signs of controlling elimination. They can hold their bladder for longer periods of time and when they do pee, they release a good amount instead of a little at a time.
2. They are aware of when they need to use the bathroom and when they are wet.
3. Knows words to verbalize they need to be changed. (Liam always comes up to me and says he needs a new diaper!)
4. Can follow simple instructions like sitting, getting a toy, etc. They must be able to understand directions so they can learn all the steps to potty training from going to the potty, pulling down pants/undies, sitting, washing hands, etc.
5. Shows interest in others using the potty and wants to sit on the potty, too. (We got Liam a potty for Christmas so he could get used to it and he always sits on it when we are in the bathroom.)
So, is your child ready for potty training? If so, keep an eye out for more posts! Wish us luck. I'm hoping this will go more smoothly than with his big brother, but at least I can say Josiah is potty trained, so that gives me something to go on. :)